Newk's Cares Begins Fifth Year of Its Fight Against Ovarian Cancer
Philanthropy Announces Events, Promotions and Limited Time Cancer-Fighting Soup for Ovarian Cancer Awareness Month
JACKSON, Miss., Aug. 13, 2018 // PRNewswire // -- Beginning its fifth year, Newk's Cares — the ovarian cancer awareness movement founded by fast-casual Newk's Eatery— is spearheading efforts to fight for the one in 78 women who will be diagnosed with ovarian cancer in their lifetime, in honor of Ovarian Cancer Awareness Month in September.
Newk's Cares is the philanthropic arm of Newk's Eatery, established in 2014 by Newk's Eatery CEO, Chris Newcomb, and his wife Lori Newcomb. Lori was diagnosed with stage IIIC ovarian cancer in 2013, which inspired her to establish Newk's Cares as a way of giving back to an important cause that has personally impacted the Newk's family. To date, Newk's Cares has raised over $720,000 for ovarian cancer research through the organization's partnership with Ovarian Cancer Research Fund Alliance (OCRFA), the largest global organization dedicated to advancing ovarian cancer research while supporting women and their families.
"I hope to use the Newk's Cares platform to inspire women to communicate how they are feeling and put their health first, as they do with the loved ones
most important to them," said Lori Newcomb, Newk's Cares co-founder and ovarian cancer survivor. "I believe women should listen to what their bodes are telling them to truly take care of themselves, and to find a doctor who will also listen to them and their symptoms. Even though the symptoms may be vague, your body is trying to tell you something. Early detection is the key to incrementally increasing the survival rate."
To kick off Ovarian Cancer Awareness Month, Newk's Cares is hosting the following events for the Jackson, Miss. community, where Newk's calls home:
- Newk's Cares and St. Dominic Hospital are again joining efforts to raise critical awareness and support of ovarian cancer prevention and treatment. A free Lunch & Learn event will be held on Thursday, August 16 at noon at Sparkman Auditorium on the campus of the Mississippi Agriculture & Forestry Museum. Lori Newcomb, along with St. Dominic's gynecologic oncologists and ovarian cancer survivors will share their stories, and guests will also hear from Dr. Katherine Fuh, an Assistant Professor in the division of Gynecologic Oncology at Washington University in St. Louis, regarding her latest research. Dr. Fuh's research on the inhibition of metastasis in BRCA2–associated ovarian cancers is funded by a grant from OCRFA made possible by a donation from Newk's Cares. Attendees can pre-register for the lunch and submit questions to the panel by emailing NewksCares@Newks.com. This event is free and open to the public.
- The community is invited to aid in the fight against ovarian cancer by participating in Ovarian Cycle® Jackson, an annual outdoor spin event that will be held at The Club at The Township in Ridgeland on Thursday, September 20. Riders can participate in one of five 45-minute time slots every hour from 9 a.m. to 2 p.m. There is a $50 registration fee to ride and ovarian cancer survivors ride for free. Registration is now open at http://support.ocrfa.org/Jackson2018.
The following initiatives will take place across all Newk's Eatery's 121 locations to raise awareness of the cause:
- Beginning August 20 through the month of September, Newk's iconic collectible black cups will turn teal, the color of Ovarian Cancer Awareness. Guests will have the option to make a donation in support of ovarian cancer research and education both in-store and through online ordering. All funds collected between September 3 - 30 will be donated to OCRFA.
- Available during the month of September, Newk's is introducing a new seasonal Thai Chicken soup that features numerous cancer-fighting ingredients including mushrooms, carrots, turmeric, garlic, and green and red bell peppers, which contain antioxidants that can help reduce the risks of cancer. This soup will remain in all Newk's Eatery locations through March 2019.
For more information, visit NewksCares.com and follow Newk's Cares on Facebook, where Newk's Cares will feature the brave faces of ovarian cancer survivors and their stories throughout the month of September.
About Newk's Eatery
Based in Jackson, Mississippi, Newk's Eatery is leading the next generation of fast casual with its culinary-driven menu prepared in Newk's open-view kitchens, featuring made-from-scratch soups, fresh tossed salads, hand-crafted pizzas, hot toasted sandwiches and desserts. Founded in 2004, Newk's currently operates and franchises more than 121 restaurants in 15 states and is gaining national attention for its accelerated growth and commitment to community. FastCasual.com has named Newk's among its Top 50 "Movers and Shakers" from 2015-2018, while Franchise Times magazine ranked Newk's among its top "Fast and Serious" franchise brands for the fourth year in a row, and Technomic listed Newk's in its Top 500 Chain Restaurant Report and the "Best Overall" fast casual and "Most Kid Friendly" fast casual Consumers' Choice award. Also recently, the brand was named among NRN's Top 200 and Top 5 Fastest-Growing Chains, along with Restaurant Business' Top 40 Fast-Casual Chains. For more information, visit Newks.com, join the Roundtable Club or follow Newk's on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter.
About St. Dominics
St. Dominic's is more than just a hospital. It is a family of services focused on fulfilling a mission of Christian healing to those in need. St. Dominic Health Services, Inc. is the parent company for a large group of subsidiary organizations and programs dedicated to the same mission. These include St. Dominic Hospital, the Community Health Services Clinic, St. Dominic Medical Associates (physician network), New Directions for Over 55, MEA Clinics, The Club at St. Dominic's, the School Nurse Program, St. Dominic's Foundation, St. Catherine's Village and Care-A-Van.
St. Dominic Hospital is a 571-bed tertiary care hospital located in Jackson, Mississippi serving all of central Mississippi and employs approximately 3,000 employees inclusive of nurses, physicians, and skilled caregivers. The medical staff, of nearly 500 leading physicians and specialists, makes St. Dominic's one of the most comprehensive hospitals in Mississippi. Through nearly seven decades, St. Dominic's has remained true to its vision. We are St. Dominic's – a Christian healing community called to provide quality, compassionate care and an Exceptional Encounter Everytime.
Ovarian Cancer Research Fund Alliance (OCRFA) is the world's largest organization dedicated to fighting ovarian cancer through research, advocacy and support. OCRFA advances research to prevent, treat and defeat ovarian cancer, works with all levels of government to ensure ovarian cancer is a priority and supports women and their families before, during and beyond diagnosis. Visit ocrfa.org to learn more.
SOURCE Newk's Cares
Comments:comments powered by Disqus
- Expansions & Growth
- Financial & Earnings Claims
- Mergers & Acquisitions
- Personnel Changes
- General Announcements
- Conferences & Events
- Product Announcements
- Media Coverage
- Strategic Alliances